Today for educational purposes (for clients, other photographers, friends, family, whoever is interested) I thought I’d share what my weekends look like…because I think they look quite different from people I know who have what I like to call “a proper job.”

weekends Our Weekends Look A Little Different

This first photo (on the left) was taken yesterday (Saturday) when I was about to leave to go shoot a wedding. Please note the bottle of water (futile attempt to hydrate) and the bottle of Advil (an absolute necessity). Now I love my job as much as anyone, and I feel incredibly lucky to do what I do. However, I feel that now and then it’s good to hang it out there into the public just how hard it really is…since every time I see an article or a tv piece about how anyone can be a wedding photographer, I get just a little bit hot under the collar. icon smile Our Weekends Look A Little Different

So perhaps I look remotely put together on the left. My gear is all packed up and I’m wearing makeup and a cute little dress and I have a full belly of lox and bagel. It’s about noon, it’s also about 100 degrees out. But what you don’t know is that 10 hours later I am sweaty, my feet are sore, my right hand has turned into a claw from gripping the camera, I have been politely negotiating with two different families, manhandled by intoxicated wedding guests “take a picture of me”, all the while trying to be creative, am still waiting to be fed and have yet to use the bathroom for either lack of time or severe dehydration. It is a great job but it ain’t easy and it ain’t glamourous.

In contrast…what you see on the right is around the same time the following day. It is a day of “me”. I am still in pain from the day before, I am limping a little bit, I am tired. I am wearing crappy clothes and have not showered or put on a lick of makeup. But there I am with my puppy, with my husband taking a picture and I can see a bloody mary or two in my future. I am tired but relaxed. So a word to the wise, if I say that I am unavailable to shoot on a Sunday…this is why. I need a little bit of sanity in my life like anyone else. Photographers, I encourage you to do the same. We all need downtime, don’t be afraid to take it.

15 Responses to “Our Weekends Look A Little Different”

1. Jaime Emery says:

“Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be” – Edward Weston

2. justine says:

Jaime, truer words were never spoken. Thank you!

3. Amen, sister. It is hard, hard work. Sometimes I am so physically sore, I can’t do a damn thing. I love it to pieces, but realized that I cannot do back to back weddings and need to keep the schedule completely open on Sundays to relax. I don’t even cook dinner on Sundays anymore. Otherwise, I feel like I am working 7 days a week. R&R is the way to go.

4. Laughing! Sounds like you and I had identical weekends.

5. lindsey says:

Oh Justine, I absolutely love you for this post!

6. AMEN! Love this post and thank you for putting it out there in the public. I stopped doing engagement sessions on Sundays about 6 months ago and it changed my life! P.S. Love the cute outfit for the wedding day!

7. Great post. I felt the same way from this past Saturday’s wedding. 10 hours of photographing and 1.40 hours of driving each way. After downloading and backing up the CF cards ( till 3am ), I did not wake up until 2pm on Sunday. Have a great Monday..

8. Lauralee says:

Exactly my weekend, minus the really cute tights! 10 hours without a bathroom break or food isn’t very glamourous, lol.

9. Too funny…I just popped two advil to deal with the back pain from Saturday’s wedding seconds before sitting down and opening up this page.

10. Meg says:

I’m a no Sunday shooter too – props for looking so damn cute while rocking the wedding hangover :) xoxo

11. So true! Glad you posted this :)

12. porter says:

you couldn’t have said it better.

yell it from the rooftops…

13. Nicole Wolf says:

Hahaha, I laughed out loud because I describe myself the exact same way on wedding days. Manhandled by intoxicated wedding guests..touche! But you forgot being elbowed in the face by the guest that has a bigger camera and bigger lens than you, trying desperately to snag your “family” photo…uhg

14. Bat says:

As i sit here, 9am day after a wedding fealing a bit sore, kinda hungover fealing due to lack of water at the wedding before, i know exactly how you feal!